Dentals implants are the latest in the technology of replacing missing teeth that are lost due to cavity,disease or injury. They are the best option for replacing missing teeth.
WHAT ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
A dental implant is actually a replacement for the root or roots of a tooth. Just like tooth roots, dental implants are secured in the jawbone and are not visible once surgically placed. Dental implants are used to secure crowns , bridgework or dentures by a variety of means. They are made of titanium, which is lightweight, strong and biocompatible, which means that it is not rejected by the body.
THE BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
Dental implants are often the first choice and a standard of care compared to other options to restore missing or damaged teeth.
- They are the next best thing to healthy, natural teeth. A dental implant is strong and durable and restores a lost tooth so that it looks feels, fits and functions just like a natural tooth. Other options can lead to bone deterioration, and may interfere with eating, smiling, speaking and other activities of everyday life.
- Dental implants are a long-term solution. Dental implants may need periodic adjustments, but they can last a lifetime if properly placed and cared for over time.
- Enjoy life without worrying about your teeth! There is no need for you to stay home or feel uncomfortable in public or embarrassed because your smile looks different. Dental implants are teeth that let you, lead your life normally.
- Retain your natural face shape, and smile. A face without teeth can sag and appear sunken and sad.Dental implants allow you to maintain the natural shape of your face and smile.
- Protect healthy bone. Dental implants are the only dental restoration option that preserves and stimulates natural bone, helping to stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
- Dental implants allow you to keep your teeth where they belong – in your mouth. You can brush, floss and care for teeth that have been replaced using dental implants exactly the way you would natural teeth.
- Dental implants, which function like natural teeth allow normal speech without fear of misplacing teeth in the mouth.
- You can bite naturally, eat virtually anything you want and, you can experience the full taste of the food you eat with dental implants, too.
- Even though cavities cannot occur in an implant-restored crown, or replacement tooth, you will need to visit your dentist as scheduled and clean and care for it and your gums and mouth every day, just as if they were natural teeth.
- Dental implants go in the jawbone, in the spot where your missing tooth root was, without affecting healthy teeth. They also help prevent healthy, adjacent teeth from shifting as they would if an empty space were left for an extended period.
ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS RIGHT FOR ME?
Dental implants are a great option for patients who do not want the drawbacks of, or can no longer wear, removable dentures. Patients should have healthy gums and bone to hold the implant. They should also have a good oral healthcare and regular dental visits. Heavy smokers, people who have uncontrolled diabetes or heart disease, or patients who have had radiation therapy to the head/neck area will need to be evaluated by the dentist before the implant procedure.
IS THE COST OF DENTAL IMPLANTS COVERED BY INSURANCE?
It depends on the type of cover you have. Some insurance companies pay for the surgical part, while others pay for restorative procedures. The best way to find out is to talk to your insurance agent.